COMPLETE ANALYSIS & DESIGN OF A DRILLED SHAFT FOUNDATION
Updated October 9, 2016
Bored Pile Software is Compatible with Australian AS 2159-2009 & American ACI 318-14. Up until now, you needed one program for axial capacity, another for lateral load analysis and yet a third program for reinforcement design. SoilStructure Drilled Pier Software performs all of the above three calculations. In addition, it computes torsional moment capacity, vertical settlement and lateral deflection. Others may also refer this to drilled shaft, bored pile or caisson. It also does negative skin friction and uplift analysis. VIEW Drilled Pier Video
The program calculates the capacity of a single drilled pier foundation (Bored Pile) subjected to:
- Lateral load
- Bending Moment
- Axial downward load
- Uplift (Tension) load
- Torsional moment and
- Downdrag load (negative skin friction)
The site soils are often stratified, so Drilled Pier software can handle up to 20 soil layers, 250 ft embedment (75 m) and maximum of 12 ft diameter pier (4 m).
Analysis can be done in SI units or in English units. Analysis is applicable to both “FIXED HEAD” and “FREE HEAD” condition. Supports Window XP/Vista/Windows 7 & Windows 8 computer systems.
As a result, Drilled Pier software can analyze:
- Solar foundations
- Building foundations
- Cantilever sign support foundations
- Wind turbine foundations
- Retaining wall piers
- Bridge foundations
- Secant/Tangent Piles
- Landslide Piers
- Soldier Beams (King Post) encased in concrete
On a particular project, you may have axial & lateral load analysis and then on a different case have a bored pile with shear and torsional moment. No need to check threshold torsional moment by hand or delegate settlement analysis to the geotechnical consultant.
This structural engineering software references the work of Reese & O’Neil (FHWA) as well as Budhu for geotechnical axial capacity. Hetenyi, Poulos, R.F. Scott, Kezdi, Bowles, Hull, Young, Budynas and Azizi are referenced for lateral load capacity. Briaud/Tucker, Terzaghi & Peck and Zeevaert are referenced for downdrag loads. The University of Florida reports, IDOT report, Barg, & ACI 318-11 are referenced for torsional moment capacity and Fanella, Barg & ACI 318-11 are referenced for column reinforcement design.
Drilled Pier software can be used by structural engineers since the geotechnical properties can be imported from a soils report (alternatively most values are “pre-filled” for you). However an experienced geotechnical engineer & seasoned structural engineer co-involvement is recommended.
Drilled Pier Software will be a geotechnical engineer’s ally, since structural loadings can be input along with soil layers. Further, the program performs total stress and effective stress analysis to compute the limiting geotechnical capacity & vertical settlement.
Unique only to Drilled Pier software are five features:
- The only software currently available to perform geotechnical & structural torsional moment capacity of a drilled pier foundation. So if you have a lateral load with eccentricity or a cantilever sign foundation, among others, Drilled Pier (Bored Pile) Software will compute the torsional moment capacities.
- Ability to have up to 20 soil layers, 250 ft (75 m) depth and 12 ft (4 m) diameter pier so that you may analyze just about any building or earth retention foundation in a layered soils environment.
- Calculation of limiting geotechnical and structural capacities are displayed side by side. For example, Torsional Moment is often limited by structural capacity while axial downward load is often limited by geotechnical capacity.
- Option to have a belled bottom to increase geotechnical capacity with user entered end bearing pressure.
- The reinforcement design with the P-M diagram can handle Shear (Vu), Axial (Pu), Moment (Mu), Torsional Moment (Tu), and Torsional Moment & Shear ratios (T & V). You input the factored loads.
Anchorage design is outside the scope of this software. Program assumes the engineer using this software is experienced in hand calculations & has ample engineering judgment in drilled pier analysis & design.
It is priced to be a profitable & convenient all in one design tool on your desktop. You will love the ease of entry and use of standard units. The comprehensive report can be printed on paper or on a PDF format. An upgrade from hand methods that do not check for short term & long term geotechnical capacities nor reinforcement design. The download version will unlock to a full license once purchased.
For those in Australia, here is the edits you need to do to comply with Bored Pile Using AS 2159-2009
We are seeing more New users and their referrals and think you should join us. We may only have about 2 updates the entire year. The Drilled Pier software is so intuitive that we get only 1 support question a month (from all the users combined)! And when you contact us, we respond within 24 hrs. If you leave us a voicemail, we call you back the same day. And if you are working on deep foundation, this Bored Pile/Drilled Pier program is all you need for geotechnical analysis & structural design. You get a USB Key that is good until the next Building Code release and you never pay a dime on annual fees.
From CRSI Drilled Pier Design Guide Publication:
“The Program Drilled Pier was used to run p-y analysis on all tabulated drilled pier design presented in this Guide. Results were also compared to actual field tests and found to be conservative in all cases examined”, From CRSI Design Guide for Drilled Piers, 1st Ed., 2016, Page 3-2.
Sample Reports and Verifications
|Sample #1||Verification #1|
|Sample #2||Verification #2|